Matchbox Monday First Look: 2013 New Models Turn Tamer, Whiplash, & MBX Coupe...


There will surely be some thoughts on these three, whether they get shared here or not...

Since these were announced a year-and-a-half ago at the 2012 Matchbox Gathering, collectors have looked at these with a bit (a lot) of trepidation.  It is one thing to do a non-licensed dump truck, it is a whole other thing to do a non-licensed car.  But that is what Matchbox has done with the Turn Tamer, Whiplash, and MBX Coupe.

The team at Matchbox has reiterated that while these models are debuting in the mainline, they will be seen more in playsets.   Having non-licensed vehicles available for playsets makes a lot of sense for Matchbox, as they don't have to deal with outside licensors.  The set is what will sell, not the car inside.

So if I look at this from the perspective of the Matchbox team at Mattel, these models make perfect sense.   But this is a collector website, so let me try to look at it from that perspective.

As a collector, do I like these models?  Of course not.  But let's be honest, as far as these models go, the Matchbox team doesn't need my opinion.  The Dodge A100, T34 Karmann Ghia, and BMW 1M were aimed at me.  Not these.

So while I can get all bent out of shape that these three may have taken the place of three car castings in the 2013 lineup, I won't.  Here they are, they will be put to use, and I will move on.  Plus, you can't get me to complain coming off the release of the BMW 1M, one of my favorites from Matchbox in a long time.

So I doubt these will be featured here at Lamley anymore, so looking at them individually, here are my thoughts.  Of the three, I think I prefer the Turn Tamer.  Don't know why, I just do.

Your thoughts?

(Find the P case Matchbox models on ebay...)


Matchbox Turn Tamer (2013 New Models):









Matchbox Whiplash (2013 New Models):








Matchbox MBX Coupe (2013 New Models):







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...