The customs of Scale-Master, Part 2: Fictional Race Cars...

Time for part two of our excursion into the world of Scale-Master and his amazing customs.  If you have not been introduced to Mark's work, check out Part 1 from last week, featuring some of his muscle car creations, and also see the profile done on his Japanese customs for collector Ricky Silverio over at Japanese Nostalgic Car.


So on with Part 2:


Race Cars (Fictional)

Torpedo Jones





The first time I saw this casting it did not do too much for me. But then I wondered how a set of wire wheels would look on it. After the investment I put into the wheels, I decided to make a new engine for it too.

I machined a fictional massive air-cooled 4 cylinder two-stroke with dual ignition and fuel injection. Mostly made of aluminum with some brass, I think it has about 40 parts. A steering wheel and other little details were machined from aluminum too. The yellow was hand painted as it was easier than making a decal, or masking for that matter, the main color is Tamiya Light Blue. The wheels are custom made photo-etched brass and white metal units. It does not roll.

Rocket Oil Special





After the Torpedo, I thought wire wheels and rubber-like tires would look good on this one too. The wheels are the same construction, but different dimensions than used on the Torpedo Jones. The side tanks were beefed up/bulged out. Ignition wires and fuel & brake lines were added and a steering wheel was machined too. Tamiya Brilliant Blue with more custom decals.

Adonis



Another semi-replica, or more appropriately it was inspired by the EDS Intrepid. I adapted the graphics from the Intrepid and made decals to fit this casting. I also swapped in some JL wheels. As soon as I saw the HW casting, I knew this is what I would be doing with it. I no longer have this one so this is the only photo I can provide.

Ground FX



I am a fan of streamliners, so when this HWs casting came out I was very pleased. The first one I did in a patriotic flame design. I engineered the decals to work with the blue painted front section. Then the stars were added on top of that.







The second one was done with a real flame inspired look. Tamiya lacquers were used for the fire colors, automotive paint for the violet. Mylar chrome discs were cut and applied over the stock wheels.







A Pavement Pounder truck (Hot Wheels) was also painted to match as a hauler. Note the seat inserts that were brush painted to match the flame pattern on the exterior.

Nissan 350Z





I always liked the IMSA version of the 300ZX, so when the 350Z came out I had to see how it would look with the same scheme. This Tomica version was painted red with Testors Guards Red and decals were created for all the graphics. BBS style wheels were swapped in from a Hot Wheels.

Swoopy Do









Even so called peg warmers are not safe from my attempts to “fix” them. It looked like a stylized flame, so I adapted the gas company logo to it. The casting was painted Testors white, than decal graphics were fitted almost as a wrap. I figured if it was going to be a race car the sponsorship should reflect things from the household more than the automotive arena. Just playing around…

LeMelt







This scheme is a classic to me especially when it was on the Porsche 917/10. It was easy enough to adapt to this HWs casting…

BRE Vega







And a little more whimsy… I had a Vega as my first car and wanted to paint it like this… It was much easier to paint a Hot Wheel version than a real one, well at least cheaper. Testors white and Guards Red with more custom drawn decals.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...